• Curaçao Chronicle
  • (599-9) 523-4857

Aqualectra Expects Full, Stable Power Capacity by October as Repairs Accelerate

Main News, Local, | By Press release August 20, 2026

 

WILLEMSTAD – Aqualectra expects to have all of its currently unavailable diesel generators back in service by October, restoring the utility’s full and stable generation capacity. Until then, Curaçao remains vulnerable to rotating power outages, particularly when wind production drops and renewable energy cannot cover the shortfall.

Rudolf Garmes, Chief Technical Officer of Integrated Utility Holding (IUH), said the current electricity problems are primarily the result of insufficient “firm capacity” — generation that can be relied upon regardless of weather conditions.

“What we have at the moment is a firm-capacity problem,” Garmes said. “The wind has helped us so far, but lately there have been moments when weather conditions are unfavorable and renewable energy sources leave us short.”

Aqualectra’s diesel generators currently provide the island’s firm generation capacity. When all units are operational, the utility has approximately 150 megawatts (MW) available, compared with peak electricity demand of around 140 MW.

However, four diesel units are currently out of service, leaving Aqualectra with a shortfall of approximately 40 MW in firm capacity. That gap must currently be covered largely by renewable energy.

The problem is that wind generation cannot be guaranteed. When wind speeds fall, electricity production from Curaçao’s wind farms declines and Aqualectra may no longer have enough power to meet demand. In those situations, the company has to resort to rotating outages, locally known as “schakel,” to keep the electricity system balanced.

Fault traced to components after major maintenance

Garmes explained that the current problems can be traced back to an extensive maintenance program during which work was carried out to allow the generators to use a different type of fuel and improve efficiency.

Several months after that maintenance, one generating unit suffered a major failure in December 2025 without prior warning.

An investigation concluded that Aqualectra was not responsible for the failure, according to Garmes. The damage was subsequently covered by insurance.

The investigation, however, raised a much larger concern: the same component involved in the failure was installed in the other seven diesel units.

When a second generator broke down in April 2026, Aqualectra received indications that the same component could potentially cause problems in the remaining machines. Two additional generators later began showing signs of developing a similar problem.

Rather than risk the same type of major failure, Aqualectra removed those two units from production.

Four international teams working on repairs

According to Garmes, the first generator that failed is awaiting new engine blocks, which are scheduled to arrive in September.

The second generator has already been repaired with parts that have arrived on the island. Meanwhile, mechanics from four different international teams are working in Curaçao on repairs and maintenance involving the other affected units.

Aqualectra’s current schedule calls for all four generators that were taken out of service to be operational again by October.

The unexpected failures have also affected the regular maintenance schedule for the other diesel generators. Planned maintenance on those units could not proceed as originally scheduled because Aqualectra could not afford to remove additional generating capacity from service during the current shortage.

The company expects that work to also be completed by October. If the schedule is maintained, Aqualectra should once again have its full conventional generation capacity available.

CRU turbine to provide 15 MW

In the immediate term, Aqualectra is trying to add temporary capacity to reduce the risk of outages.

Garmes said the utility expects to have access to 15 MW from CRU’s Turbine 9 by the coming weekend.

At the same time, the international technical teams are working around the clock to accelerate repairs to Aqualectra’s generators.

The additional 15 MW should provide some relief, but Garmes cautioned that rotating outages may still be necessary until sufficient firm capacity has been restored.

Salu plant to raise firm capacity to 190 MW

A more structural solution is expected later this year with completion of the new Salu Power Plant.

The 40 MW diesel plant will increase Aqualectra’s firm generation capacity to approximately 190 MW. According to Garmes, that would give Curaçao enough conventional capacity to meet the current peak demand of around 140 MW even during periods when wind and solar generation are insufficient.

The additional capacity would also provide room for future economic growth and rising electricity demand.

Aqualectra points to investments already delivered

IUH CEO Neysa Isenia again apologized to the community for the disruptions and acknowledged public frustration over recurring electricity problems.

Isenia said she understands why residents are upset, particularly because Aqualectra has repeatedly promised improvements only to face another major incident that creates the impression that little progress has been made.

She insisted, however, that significant investments have been delivered.

According to Isenia, Aqualectra committed at the beginning of 2024 to expanding wind and conventional generation capacity, introducing battery storage, carrying out maintenance on its power plants and reducing electricity tariffs.

The additional wind capacity was completed in 2025, while the battery-storage project was completed in 2026. Construction of the new 40 MW power plant is also underway.

Isenia noted that building a power plant of that size typically takes between 24 and 36 months.

She also pointed to lower electricity tariffs. According to the CEO, the electricity tariff stood at approximately 77 cents in 2023 and had fallen to 59 cents by the end of 2025, a reduction of nearly 20 cents.

Isenia further argued that Aqualectra’s maintenance record was demonstrated by the fact that insurance covered the damage to the failed generating equipment.

Pisas asks public for patience

Prime Minister Gilmar Pisas, who is the minister responsible for Aqualectra, said the government has remained in continuous contact with IUH management throughout the electricity crisis.

Pisas acknowledged the impact that the rotating outages have had on households and businesses across Curaçao.

He called on the public to remain patient while Aqualectra works to repair the unavailable generators, secure temporary additional capacity and strengthen electricity production.

If the repair schedule proceeds as planned, October should mark a significant turning point, with Aqualectra once again having its existing diesel fleet fully available. The next major increase is expected when the 40 MW Salu Power Plant becomes operational later this year.

+